Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Insecurities?

I think I have learned last year that MANY people are insecure. They're always afraid of looking like a loner, seriously afraid of what others will think of them, and maybe even hurting others emotionally just to make themselves feel better.

Oh, please. Last year, after I learned that many people are insecure, I've let go some of that myself. I used to be afraid of sitting alone at a table or afraid of walking somewhere alone. But I don't care anymore. I sit all by myself with other people around me with their friends. I go walk and shop alone somewhere if I need to. As long as I'm occupied while I'm sitting or going somewhere, I really don't give a shit what other people think. I don't care if they think I'm a loner. I don't care if people are looking at me weird if I'm shopping alone. I just don't care anymore.

Life is too short for me to care about what other people think ALL THE TIME. Sure, I'll admit I do care what other people think when I dress a little messy or when I do or say something weird, but the thing I don't care about most is if they think that I'm some sort of loner. Many people tell their friends "Hey, come with me. I don't want to go alone." Maybe they feel insecure, maybe they just want company. But ALL THE TIME? I don't even care. I just say I'll be back and walk off.

SO many people are always saying they have so many friends and show it all the time. . .but are those people really what you call "friends"? Oddly, I will refer to FaceBook. Sure. You have 290 friends on FaceBook and say that other people are loners when they only have 50 friends. But do you even talk to every single one of those 290 all the time? I don't add people who I don't even say a WORD to. If they add me, I'll accept. But I don't go around adding people I've only SEEN around campus and then calling them my FRIENDS. It's just stupid. I have a small range of friends who are really FRIENDS. I don't care if I tell people I only have 20-30 friends max because it's true and it's because they actually talk to me and accept me.

I remember one time someone saw my buddy list for AIM and was all "Wow. AHAHA. You're SUCH a loner." Just because I don't have 500 buddies on my list just to make me look good. I just shrug it off and if they persist with it, I get mad. I don't get mad because they have more "buddies" than me, I get mad because they indirectly want me to feel insecure just so they make themselves feel better. I just think that in the end, my small range of friends will be there for me when other people's 500 "buddies" are only names on a list.

Sigh. I don't even know if this all makes sense but whatever.

"People are never more insecure than when they become obsessed with their fears at the expense of their dreams."
--Norman Cousins

"Only the insecure strive for security."
-- Wayne Dyer

No comments:

Post a Comment